Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Alligators in Texas

Not all Texans know that a lot of the ranch land south of San Antonio has many alligators. They don't cause much trouble and are a curiosity to most people. They are somewhat shy and will submerge normally when you get inside of their "comfort zone". Sometimes people think it is fun to feed them. This causes them to loose their fear of man and come towards you. The gator pictured here was trying to get to a fish that I had caught and was dragging backwards. I was trying to back up far enough so that I could get the fish off of the hook. Before I scared it back into the water it had come even farther towards me.
This one seems to be checking out the turtle trying to decide if it would make a meal or not.
I found this one traveling between two stock ponds one morning.
As you can see here they do grow to be big boys. The Texas Game Warden walking next to the gator gives you and idea about how big this one is.

No comments: