Saturday, May 06, 2006

Pecan Forrest

These are my pecan seedlings. Last fall George Carnes helped me go down on the San Antonio River on his farm and pick some native pecans. I brought them home and put them in the freezer for the winter. In February I planted them in these molases tubs and you can see the results. Soon I will have to find lots of places to set out the seedlings. My plan is to let them grow to about six feet tall and then graph some good large pecan onto the tops. My thinking is that the native pecan roots will be more disease resistant and I should have a greater chance for them to survive. Maybe someday Kristi and Lex, and Lindsay and Greg will harvest enough pecans to make two pies.

1 comment:

Fred and Sandra said...

Now that I think about it the word is graft.
lfp