Friday, February 17, 2006

Memories of Dad

Dad mounted ready to work the Poth ranch cattle. I remember going with them as a youngster, "Pappa", my grandfather Poth, had a horse for all of us ..... cousins, uncles, because his grocery store was closed Labor Day in September that was one of the days we would work his cattle. It was a wild time. I remember he always hired some "real" cowhands because the cattle were wild and didn't want to be driven into the cattle pens. The cattle pens were mostly made of mesquite logs stacked horrizontally between two upright mesquite posts placed at about six foot spacings. I remember one thing you learned early is where to quickly climb up and out of the way of the wild cows who would come bellaring with their mouths open slobering trying to put a horn in your back pocket. Whew!
Dad pictured while attending St. Mary's University in San Antonio.
Dad pictured playing for Coleman in the West Texas League. He is standing third from the left.
Dad while pitching for Omaha Nebraska then a tripple A farm club of the Cleaveland Indians.
This is a picture of Dad with his brothers, sister, my grandparents and oldest Poth cousins. From left to right.... back row.... Uncle Bob Poth, Aunt Lilly B. Poth, Leissner "Dad", Alfreda "Mother", Aunt Katherine and Uncle E. B. Poth, Aunt Fay and Uncle Howard Poth, Aunt Alice and Uncle Jay Poth, cousins l-r Julianne, Beverly, Marlene, Jay (front), and grandparents E. B. Poth and Lilly Leissner Poth. My Dad was named after my Grandmother's brother Ferdinand Leissner thus Leissner Ferdinand Poth.

2 comments:

Belrings said...

My grandmother was Clara Poth. She married Albert Leissner in 1895The boughtn940 acres on the Dewitt-Karnes County line and raised 8 children My father, Butler was the 5th boy ahead of 3 girls. I have met Lilly B. She ran the grocery store in Poth, TX. There was a warehouse behind it that had a horse drawn hearse that was later donated to a museum in San Antonio

Donna Hawkins said...

This pic is great. Would like a copy if my mom (Marlene Schneide) doesn't have one.